Saffron Chickpea & Chard Hash with Sunny Egg
By: Kristina Todini, RDN, www.forkintheroad.co
Serves: 2 // Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 can (10 oz) chickpeas, drained
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp saffron
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup red chard, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or pan over medium heat
- Add chickpeas and red onion, cooking 2-3 minutes or until onion begin to soften
- Add minced garlic, saffron, lemon juice, and salt and pepper and then chard.
- When chard is starts to wilt, push hash to one side of pan and melt butter and turn heat to medium-low.
- Crack 2 eggs on top of melted butter and slowly cook until sunny side up, or until whites are cooked throughout but yolk is still runny.
- Plate egg on top of chickpea hash, top with parsley and enjoy!
Kristina Todini, RDN is a registered dietitian living and blogs about travel and foods from around the world at www.forkintheroad.co. She enjoys sharing new ingredients and flavors, encouraging others to travel through taste. Follow her on Instagram!