A quick weeknight supper pasta in a rich and decadent saffron perfumed cream sauce.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 lb pasta (I used tagliarini)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped shallot
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 8-10 strands of zaran saffron (add the strands to mortar pestle with a pinch of coarse salt and grind to a fine powder)
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 5 -6 tbsp grated parmesan
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley
- Set a large pot of salted water on stove to bring to a rolling boil.
- In a medium skillet, on medium low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the whole clove of garlic and let the garlic flavor infuse for 15-20 second. Move around the garlic, to make sure that it does not burn.
- Once water is boiling, add the pasta to the pot and cook per package instructions.
- Next, add the chopped shallot to the skillet and stirring continuously cook for 1.5 - 2 minutes till they are soft and translucent but not brown.
- Next add the heavy cream. Simmer on medium low heat for 2-3 minutes till it begins to thicken. Stir in the lemon juice followed by ground saffron. Stir the sauce to incorporate the saffron.
- Reserve ½ cup of pasta water and drain the cooked pasta.
- Tip the pasta in the skillet and add salt and pepper to taste. Use ¼ -1/2 cup pasta water as needed to adjust the consistency of the sauce.
- Pick out and discard the garlic clove. Mix in the parmesan and scatter chopped parsley. Serve warm.