Kheer Rice Pudding with Saffron
- 1 cup Rice
- 4 cups Water
- 3 cups 1% Milk
- 1cup Evaporated Milk
- 12/3 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Saffron
- 3 Cardamom Pods (or 1/2) tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp Chopped pistachios or almonds
- Rinse the rice a few times to get rid of the excess starch
- Add rice to a large pot with cups of water. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once the water starts to boil reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Let the rice cook on low heat, covered until all of the water is absorbed.
- Remove cardamom seeds from the pods and grind. Set aside.
- Once the water is absorbed, the rice will be mushy. Stir the rice and then add the milk. Increase heat back to medium and bring back to a boil, stirring frequently.
- As soon as the mixture is boiling, add the evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk and stir. Allow the mixture to heat up again until it is almost boiling.
- Add cardamom and saffron to the pot. Stir and let it cook on medium low for about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with nuts sprinkled on top (optional).