How to store Saffron
- The best way to store saffron is to put it in a clean, airtight container, in a cool and dry place. When fresh saffron is exposed to high levels of moisture and humidity it starts losing its properties in a short period of time. The same goes for saffron that is left exposed to oxygen. This is one of the reasons why you should use a small container where air cannot circulate freely. So, after you store it in a special container, you should keep it in a cool and dry place away from sunlight. The best option is to keep the container in a kitchen cabinet or drawer that is not exposed to sunlight directly. In addition, use a cabinet or drawers made of wood because metal can easily absorb heat.
- It is worth mentioning that saffron can last for more than three years if it is stored properly. However, Saffron is best when consumed within the first two years. After this period of time, it will start losing its effects.
- There are many people that want to store saffron in the fridge. We don't recommend this option, storing saffron in a refrigerator should be avoided, especially if you are using saffron frequently. When moving saffron in and out of the fridge, you will create condensation. As a result of that, you can expect an increased level of moisture, which will eventually ruin the properties of saffron. This also will cause the saffron to become more "damp", which makes it harder to grind in your pestle and mortar.
- When it comes to temperature, experts recommend a well-balanced temperature between 15 and 20 degrees Celsius.
- As we have mentioned before, humidity plays important role in the lifespan of saffron. It is highly recommended to keep the humidity at around 40%.
- When storing saffron, try to use aluminum foil for additional protection.
- Finally, it is better to use a few smaller containers because as we said before, every time you open the container a small amount of moisture enters the container. Frequent use will spoil the content.
As you can see, storing saffron is not very difficult. All you need is a clean airtight container and the right spot to keep the container.