Many people use saffron to spice up their meals, but there are also many men and women that use it for its specific, powerful medicinal properties. The amazing properties of this spice are just one of the reasons why saffron is a little bit expensive. Luckily, you need a small amount of it to get these positive effects. So, the question is – what you should do with the rest of the saffron once you use it for the first time? How to store fresh saffron in the best way and make it last for a couple years or more?
- First of all, the best way to store saffron is to put it in a clean, airtight container. When fresh saffron is exposed to high levels of moisture and humidity it starts losing its properties in a short period of time. The same goes for saffron that is left exposed to oxygen. This is one of the reasons why you should use a small container where air cannot circulate freely. So, after you store it in a special container, you should keep it in a cool and dry place away from sunlight. The best option is to keep the container in a kitchen cabinet that is not exposed to sunlight directly under the countertop. In addition, use a cabinet or drawers made of wood because metal can easily absorb heat.
- It is worth mentioning that saffron can last for more than two years in case it is stored in the right way. However, it is the best idea to use it within two years because, after this period of time, it will start losing its effects.
- There are many people that want to store saffron in the fridge. However, storing saffron in a refrigerator should be avoided, especially in case you are using saffron frequently. When moving saffron in and out of the fridge all the time, you will create condensation. As a result of that, you can expect an increased level of moisture, which will eventually ruin the properties of saffron.
- When it comes to temperature, experts recommend a well-balanced temperature between 15 and 20 degrees Celsius.
- As we have mentioned before, humidity plays important role in the lifespan of saffron. It is highly recommended to keep the humidity at around 40%.
- When storing saffron, try to use aluminum foil for additional protection.
- Finally, it is better to use a few smaller containers because as we said before, every time you open the container a small amount of moisture enters the container. Frequent use will spoil the content.
As you can see, storing saffron is not very difficult. All you need is a clean airtight container and the right spot to keep the container. If you want to be sure that your fresh saffron will last for a long time and that you will enjoy all the benefits, use high-quality, pure saffron like Zaran Saffron.